Many people describe having “sensitive skin” and often having problems with various toiletry or personal care products such as soaps, lotions, cleansers, shampoos, and make up products. Various skin reactions can occur and cause redness, itching, rashes, blisters, hives, or irritation. Sometimes, it is just mild irritation, but other times, the symptoms can be severe and actually a chemical-induced skin allergy called allergic contact dermatitis.
There are numerous chemicals that can cause allergic contact dermatitis. The most common culprits are fragrances, metals, and preservatives. It can take several days after exposure to cause symptoms, and you can develop chemical allergy to products you have been using for years! Various chemicals you may be exposed to at home, work, or through hobbies can be the culprit. People who work in healthcare, dentistry, hairdressers, machinists and those with underlying eczema are most at risk for developing allergic contact dermatitis.
After taking a thorough history, your allergy provider can order chemical patch testing which can determine specifically which chemical you may be allergic to. Once the chemical trigger is identified, then you can avoid that chemical moving forward with only using safe products and improve your skin symptoms long term.
If you think your sensitive skin may need more evaluation, set up an appointment with your allergy provider to discuss chemical patch testing today!