1. Myth: Moving to the desert will cure my allergies.
Truth: There really is no allergy-free region in the United States. Deserts have many pollen producing plants, such as sagebrush, cottonwood and olive trees. Relocating may offer relief for a while, but allergies to local plants could develop before long.
2. Myth: All I need to control my allergies is an air cleaner.
Truth: A HEPA air cleaner or purifier will only remove allergens floating in the air; they do nothing for pollen on your clothes, in your hair or pet dander on your couch.
3. Myth: I only need to take my allergy medication when I’m feeling really bad.
Truth: Most allergy medications work best if taken daily, beginning a week or so before the allergy season begins-before your symptoms get the better of you!
4. Myth: There’s nothing I can do to stop the sneezing; allergy medications just make me sleepy.
Truth: Non-sedating medications are effective at relieving symptoms, including some antihistamines and nasal corticosteroids. Remember to avoid over the counter nasal decongestant sprays for more than 1-3 days because of the potential for addictive side effects. As with all medications purchased over the counter it is important to read and follow dosing and safety instructions printed on the medication label and talk with your allergist about any concerns. Many people also find effective relief from nasal washes.
5. Myth: I’ve never had allergies before, so this runny nose must be a cold.
Truth: You can develop new allergies at any time, even as an adult. If your eyes, nose and throat are itchy, your nasal drip is clear and thin and symptoms last longer than 2 weeks, it could be an allergy.
Modified from Allergy & Asthma Today Spring 2014 Vol 12, Issue 1
Here at AAAI we have same day appointments available with our providers to assist you with all of your allergy concerns.
We are now located at:
13860 N. Northsight Blvd.,
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone (480) 451-6756
Fax (480) 451-8679
To serve you better, Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute is opening a new office at 3200 E. Camelback Road, Ste. 125, on August 5, 2013. The office is conveniently located on the first floor of the Biltmore Commerce Center. There will be dedicated handicapped parking space as well as ample parking. Please contact us at (602) 843-2991 for any questions.
We have enjoyed doing business with you and appreciate your support. We hope that you will get acquainted with our new location soon!
- Preventing Food Allergy Reactions at RestaurantsNovember 27, 2018 - 4:00 pm
- National Physician Assistant (PA) Week is October 6-12, 2018October 8, 2018 - 8:00 am
- Phoenix Allergy Lab Now Open on Mondays During LunchAugust 10, 2017 - 11:37 am
- What is the Arizona Nose?September 15, 2016 - 10:42 pm
- Are you sick of feeling sick?June 26, 2015 - 4:55 pm