seasonal allergies in arizona

1. Myth: Moving to the desert will cure my allergies.

Truth: There really is no allergy-free region in the United States. Deserts have many pollen producing plants, such as sagebrush, cottonwood and olive trees. Relocating may offer relief for a while, but allergies to local plants could develop before long.

2. Myth: All I need to control my allergies is an air cleaner.

Truth: A HEPA air cleaner or purifier will only remove allergens floating in the air; they do nothing for pollen on your clothes, in your hair or pet dander on your couch.

3. Myth: I only need to take my allergy medication when I’m feeling really bad.

Truth: Most allergy medications work best if taken daily, beginning a week or so before the allergy season begins-before your symptoms get the better of you!

4. Myth: There’s nothing I can do to stop the sneezing; allergy medications just make me sleepy.

Truth: Non-sedating medications are effective at relieving symptoms, including some antihistamines and nasal corticosteroids. Remember to avoid over the counter nasal decongestant sprays for more than 1-3 days because of the potential for addictive side effects. As with all medications purchased over the counter it is important to read and follow dosing and safety instructions printed on the medication label and talk with your allergist about any concerns. Many people also find effective relief from nasal washes.

5. Myth: I’ve never had allergies before, so this runny nose must be a cold.

Truth: You can develop new allergies at any time, even as an adult. If your eyes, nose and throat are itchy, your nasal drip is clear and thin and symptoms last longer than 2 weeks, it could be an allergy.

Modified from Allergy & Asthma Today Spring 2014 Vol 12, Issue 1

Here at AAAI we have same day appointments available with our providers to assist you with all of your allergy concerns.


A great short video on the air quality in Phoenix and some things you can do to help your family.

Screenshot 2014-05-07 12.49.46


We are now located at:

13860 N. Northsight Blvd.,
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Phone (480) 451-6756
Fax (480) 451-8679


To serve you better, Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute is opening a new office at 3200 E. Camelback Road, Ste. 125, on August 5, 2013. The office is conveniently located on the first floor of the Biltmore Commerce Center. There will be dedicated handicapped parking space as well as ample parking. Please contact us at (602) 843-2991 for any questions.

We have enjoyed doing business with you and appreciate your support. We hope that you will get acquainted with our new location soon!

We are pleased to announce that R. Joseph Mittel, MD, is joining our medical practice on July 15, 2013.

A native of Louisville, Kentucky, Dr. Mittel recently completed his fellowship in Allergy/Immunology at Rush University in Chicago, Illinois. Prior to completing his fellowship, he graduated from a residency in Pediatrics at Loyola University in Maywood, Illinois in 2011. Dr. Mittel is board certified by the American Board of Pediatrics. He received his medical degree from The University of Louisville in 2008.

Dr. Mittel joined Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute due to their strong history of patient-centered care and the excellent clinical allergists on staff.

Appointments & Details

Appointments are now being accepted for Dr. Mittel at Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute. Beginning July 15th, he will be ready to care for patients with asthma, food sensitivities, allergies, and allergic skin conditions. He will see patients in all age groups, from infants to adults. Dr. Mittel has physician staff privileges at Scottsdale Healthcare Shea, Phoenix Children’s Hospital and both Banner Desert and Banner Gateway Medical Centers.

The addition of Dr. Mittel’s services will enhance the care available to our patients here at Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute. Routine appointment times are available Monday-Friday.

Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute celebrates Kalea Hernandez becoming our 100,000th patient.

After first practicing in primary care, Susan Symington, PA-C is the President of the American Academy of Physician Assistants in Allergy, (Asthma and Immunology effective July 2013).thought she knew a lot about allergies.  it wasn’t until she decided to specialize in allergy, asthma and immunology and began working at the Arizona Asthma and Allergy Institute in Glendale that she realized just how severe allergies and asthma can be – and what a difference proper diagnosis and treatment can make for these patients.  Read More Click Here

Immunodeficiencies are inherited disorders.  About 60% of cases are detected in childhood, and the remaining 40% are detected in adults.  Immunodeficiencies were long considered uncommon, but that perception is changing.  More than 200 primary immunodeficiencies have been classified.  Read more Click Here